The end of the year can create much anxiety. Have I accomplished all my personal goals?? I have more recently learned to be grateful for what I have & what I have accomplished. This feeling of gratitude has provided a calmness and peacefulness that I hadn’t experienced when I was younger.
But, as I talk to some friends and clients, I sense their feelings of uneasiness that I recognize from my earlier single years. That feeling where the ball is dropping on New Year’s Eve and all you want more than anything is love. Yes. That feeling. “My wish for 20** is the man (or woman) of my dreams. The mushy kind from rom-coms.”
If you are anxious about starting a new year because you don’t have the ideal romantic partner you’ve been longing for, and it scares the sh*t out of you that another year has slipped by, you are NOT alone.
The bad news: Your anxiety and desperation are keeping you from finding love. The good news: You can change that. It takes work to learn about ourselves and become mindful of our past behavioral patterns and mistakes. But guess what, people can & do change!
The biggest lesson? Living life in the present and enjoying yourself as cliché as it may sound. It’s what younger me didn’t know 6 years ago, when I wished for love as the clock struck midnight and I saw fireworks. I kept planning for the life I wanted and lived in a state of anxiety because I didn’t feel complete. What was really missing in my life at that time was the opportunity to show MYSELF more love.
This year, wish for personal growth, not for love. Love will come when you allow it to enter. When you have succeeded in loving and putting yourself first.
In the spirit of the New Year, I want to share my goals. Below are my top 15; I tried to keep it short, don’t judge me!
- Spend quality time with myself
- Add more fun to my life
- Nurture friendships
- Prioritize family (sorry for putting ya’ll on the back burner for a while)
- Be kind to myself(nae nae with the body shaming)
- Take more risks
- Sleep more
- Continue to open my mind
- Spend less on clothes, shoes yadda yadda. . . No seriously! , I’m going to try this 90 days thing where I can’t buy shoes. I was inspired by another woman’s journey. Wish me luck!
- Eat healthier---for my mind, body and soul
- Spend time away from my partner. I don’t need to be attached to his hip (love you babe)
- My word is my bond—sticking to NO, and not doing things I don’t want to do
- Become a better listener
- Make love like nobody is watching (probably my favorite one! #oops)
It’s like momma says, you can’t hurry love. Remember to live life the way you want to live it. You only get one life, and don’t waste it planning and planning for love to come. ~